If you are looking for an opportunity to enjoy some socialization we are happy to announce that Bunco is back! Bunco is a fun and popular game played with dice, lots of luck and a simple set of rules. If you have never played it before, it has been said that you can pick it up within 5 minutes. This is a free, members-only activity that will be meeting twice a month beginning on Thursday, October 14th at 1pm.
Donations Now Accepted
The “Pop-Up Christmas Shoppe” returns for a second time and is scheduled for the 2021 holiday season, with all proceeds used to support the programs and services of Buckham West. This event is set to kick off on Saturday, Nov. 27th and will run through Tuesday, November 30th.
In order to stock the shop, we are now actively soliciting donations from our members and other supportive community members. These donations will then be priced, displayed and sold at the Shoppe. Items that we are looking for include:
- Newly purchased or unused store-bought items
- Hand crafted items for home or personal use
- Gift certificates to local stores or restaurants which can be added to theme baskets
- Stocking stuffers
- Items identified and priced just right for youngsters to buy for a special adult in their life.
- Bundles or baskets of themed items (for example home décor, holiday, hobbies, etc.)
In order to have artisan and boutique quality items, we will not accept previously opened or used items. We also will not be selling clothing at this event, but would always be happy to accept donations of clothes at Fashions on Central, our second-hand clothing store.
Please drop off your donated items to Buckham West no later than November 19th. If you have questions, call us at 332-7357.
Rice County Public Health has announced its Flu Shot Clinic schedule for 2021 which includes one adult Flu Shot Clinic at Buckham West on Thursday, Oct. 14 from 10-11:30am. If you are receiving Medicare or MA, there will not be any out of pocket cost for you and your paperwork will be filed. Please bring your Medicare card with you. This shot clinic is open to all area adults with no appointment needed.
Also, while the flu shot clinic is happening, nursing students from St Olaf College will be here to provide blood pressure checks as well as education regarding COVID-19 vs seasonal flu.
Senior Learning Network
Through a webcam and internet connection, Buckham West continues its series of virtual classes through the Senior Learning Network (SLN). Pre-registration is required by calling us at 332-7357 and the programs are open to the community. Cost to attend is $3/Buckham West members or $6/non-members which is payable at the door. The following is the schedule for the next two sessions:
- , Oct. 19 at 1pm- Jimmy Carter Presidential Library: “The Extraordinary Life of Jimmy Carter”
Throughout his life, President Carter has found himself in extraordinary circumstances faced with extraordinary opportunities, many of which were brought about by the American Presidency. This presentation will examine civic engagement and discuss the primary sources of the Carter Library and National Archives to address the question, “What is the secret to an extraordinary life?”
- , Oct. 26 at 1pm – National Mall & Memorial Parks in Washington., D.C: “A Visit to America’s Front Yard”
Visit with a Park Ranger from National Mall and Memorial Parks in Washington, D.C, for a virtual tour of the park sometimes referred to as America’s Front Yard. We will explore the history and symbolism of memorials, such as Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Martin Luther King, Jr and more!
If you are looking for something fun to do, how about checking out some of the activities that Buckham West offers. We currently have groups that are playing:
- 500 on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
- Bridge is played on Monday and Friday (sign up in advance)
- Mahjongg on Mondays
- Cribbage every Thursday
- Bunco also twice a month on Thursdays
All of these activities start at 1pm and game boards and cards are provided. Call for more information.
New Member Incentive
As an incentive to add new members for the remainder of 2021, we are running a special Membership Drive beginning September 1st-October 30. If you are 50 years or older, we would like to invite you to become a member for the remainder of 2021 and all of 2022 for only $45. Next year’s individual’s dues are $40 per year, so for just $5 more you can join for the last 4 months of 2021 and all of 2022. Look at this as a way to support this important non-profit and save yourself some money.
If you are already a Buckham West member, your annual renewal process will begin in November for the 2022 membership year.
Fashions on Central
It’s that time of year again when our gently-used clothing store, Fashions on Central, brings out the fashions for fall and winter. We are fully stocked with anything you need for those days when the temperature begins to drop. Fashions on Central, located in downtown Faribault, is open for shopping Tuesday-Saturdays from 11:00-5:00pm.
- We have been informed by the Senior Linkage Line that they will not be doing any in-person Health Insurance Counseling appointments during the 2021 Open Enrollment period. If you are planning on making changes on your insurance during Open Enrollment, you are encouraged to call the Senior Linkage Line at 1-800-333-2433.
- If you are a Rice County resident who is living independently and are looking for help with fall clean up and snow removal, you are encouraged to call Neighbors Helping Neighbors at 507-287-2010. This is their main office line, with local services providers right here in Rice County. These services are based on your ability to pay.
- Defensive Driving classes are being suspended again and this time it stretches out until the new year. Please contact your insurance agent if you have questions about your insurance discount.
- All senior dining meals, whether they are in the dining room or curbside pickup, require a 24-hour advance registration and can be done by calling 332-7357. Serving begins at 11:30am in the dining room, with the curbside meals being brought out immediately after the dining room meals are served.