It’s time for another Coffee Shop Reunion! Due to the restraints in place with social distancing and the procedures that go along with keeping people safe, we are unable to open our building to social activities at this time. But on Thursday, September 10th from 9:00-11:30am, Buckham West will be hosting another coffee party at Faribault’s Central Park as a way to give Faribault’s older adults an opportunity to touch base with their Buckham West friends. You will have plenty of room to space yourselves out, but still are able to see each other again.
As we did for our other coffee parties, we again ask that you bring your own lawn chair and coffee mug- we will bring the coffee! There will be a basket set out for you to make a donation for your coffee. Sorry, we will only be bringing regular coffee.
So mark your calendar and put your lawn chair and coffee cup in your car. We’ll see you in the park!
If you are turning 65 or going on Medicare soon, here is an opportunity for you to get the information you need. “Medicare Basics” will be held again this year at Buckham West on Tuesday, October 6 from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
The workshop will cover the parts of Medicare- hospital, medical and drug options; including original/ traditional Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicare advantage plans, Part D prescription drug coverage and preventive benefits.
Instructor Chad Wojchik, a certified State Health Insurance Program Counselor and specialist with the Senior LinkAge Line®, will be joining us virtually in our Anderson Conference Room, with social distancing in place and masks required. Due to the spacing requirements there will be a limited number of spots available. In order to register, please call 332-7357 Monday-Fridays between 9:00-1:00pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a free event which is open to the public.
Buckham West, Senior Dining Curbside Version and Fashions on Central will all be closed on Monday, September 7th for Labor Day. We will resume our regular schedules again on Tuesday, September 8th.
Fashions on Central
Fashions on Central, our gently used clothing store located in downtown Faribault, is now open for shopping. The store hours have been modified and we are now Tuesday-Saturdays from 11:00-5:00pm.
Along with shopping, we are also accepting donations again. In order to mitigate safety concerns during the pandemic, the following donation guidelines have been put in place:
- Donations are accepted exclusively on Mondays and only by appointment. Please make your appointment by calling the store at 334-9242 during open store hours.
- A maximum of two bags/boxes of clothes will be accepted at a time and only wearable items will be accepted.
- Plan on giving your name and phone number when you make your donation.
- Caregiver Support Group meetings are held at Buckham West on the 4th Tuesday of the month 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. Please register in advance by calling Brenda Johnson at 332-7357.
- Carla Pearson, LSW, a Senior and Caregiver Advocate for Three Rivers Community Action is another great resource for older adults in Rice County. She can now be reached only by phone at 1-800-277-8418 x328.
- Curbside Pickup Meal- Since there is no noon meal served inside Buckham West until further notice, why not consider picking up a meal instead. For more information please call the kitchen at 332-7680 or Buckham West at 332-7357. You can view the August menu on the Buckham West website at buckhamwest.org and click the Senior Dining tab at the top.
- There are also many exercise classes that are being offered through Faribault’s Park and Recreation Department. These include several classes in our fitness studio and also in the pool. There are class size limits though, so call them at 334-2064 to reserve a spot.