Buckham West, Fashions on Central and the two meal programs, Meals on Wheels and the Curbside Pickup, will all be cancelled on Monday, July 5th to celebrate Independence Day. We look forward to seeing everyone back again on Tuesday.
Outstanding Senior Citizen Nominations Sought
Nominations are now being sought for the 2021 Rice County Outstanding Senior Citizen. The award recognizes outstanding senior citizens who are 65 years or older who have contributed their time and talent to benefit their community. The winner (or winners if a couple) will be honored at Senior Day at the Fair on July 22 at 1 p.m.
Nomination forms are available at the Buckham West or online at ricecountyfair.net. Click on the “Printable Forms” tab and look for the Outstanding Senior Citizen Award Nomination Form. For information call Char Wetzel at 507-334-5738 or email@example.com. Deadline to submit is July 12th. Mail to: Rice County Fair, Box 393, Faribault.
Dining Room re-opening delayed
Just when we thought we were moving in the right direction with the re-opening of our dining room to congregate diners- we hit a roadblock! Unfortunately, due to some delays with funding that is received by SEMCAC (the dining program sponsor agency) the date that we planned to begin congregate meal service has been pushed back from July 1 to August 1st. Please be patient while we work towards the re-opening once again. In the meantime, please be aware that there will be several changes to the congregate program as we move forward.
- It appears that for the time being the current curbside pick-up model will continue to operate along with the congregate option.
- Pre-registration of at least 24 hours will be required for the dining room and the curbside meals. There will be no walk-ins in the dining room any longer. This is a change for the dining room!
- The dining room payment methods will be “pay-as-you-go” or the pre-paid green discount tickets which will be available again. The curbside meals will continue to be invoiced monthly. Green tickets are not a payment option for the curbside pickup option.
- Meals will be served in the dining room first, beginning at 11:30am. The curbside meals will then be brought out to the curb following the food service in the dining room.
The Vietnam Experience
In order to welcome back our members and other community guests, Buckham West is hosting a special program featuring an extraordinary collection of pencil drawings by premier pencil artist Al Smith. The program is titled The Vietnam Experience and will be held on Tuesday, July 13 beginning at 2:00p.m.
Artist Al Smith will present a program based on his drawings of soldiers, drawings that reflect the deep emotions that soldiers felt. These are exquisite pencil drawings of scenes and images that portray a soldier’s experience in the face of war. Smith found that by drawing their pictures and telling their story, he could express his respect and appreciation for them. This is one way he honors all veterans.
The program is open to the public; pre-registration required by calling 332-7357. There is a cost of $3 for Buckham West members and $6 for non-members which is payable at the door.
Resources available for seniors
Buckham West continues to add services back into its schedule with monthly, professional consultation opportunities for Faribault’s older adults. Please call for appointments.
- On the first Tuesday of each month will be an opportunity for you to talk to a representative from Neighbors Helping Neighbors (NHN). NHN is a regional non-profit organization that offers services like home repairs, yard work, housework, transportation and more to Faribault’s older residents.
- On the 2nd Tuesday of each month Buckham West hosts a trained health insurance counselor to assist individuals with any health insurance and Medicare questions.
- Southern MN Regional Legal Services (SMRLS) will be available for a virtual meeting on the 4th Tuesday of each month to discuss and begin the intake process on various civil legal situations that you might have. In order to meet with a SMRLS staff member you must be a low-income senior or person with disability and live in the SMRLS service area.
- Carla Pearson, LSW, a Senior and Caregiver Advocate for Three Rivers Community Action is another great resource for older adults in Rice County. Carla has a large array of services that she can provide, including nutrition assistance, community resources, energy assistance, medical assistance. She will also be able to answer your questions about caring for someone with memory loss or other chronic conditions. Look for her to begin having regular office hours in our building soon!
Fashions on Central Update
If you are out and about doing garage sale shopping this summer, add Fashions on Central to your list of stops. We sell great quality clothing for women and men and all proceeds from your purchases are used to support the operations of Buckham West. The store is currently filled with new summer fashions for men and women. Fashions on Central is located at 325 Central Ave next to the Paradise Theater and is now open Tuesdays through Saturdays each week from 11am-5pm.