Membership Meeting Date Change
All members that were planning to attend our Annual Meeting, scheduled for this afternoon, please note that the meeting has been postponed one week. The new date will be Wednesday, December 21st. Beginning at 1:30 we will hold an election for the Board of Directors and have our annual business meeting. Then following the meeting, we will celebrate the holidays with refreshments. This is a members-only event and no RSVP is needed.
In addition, the Anniversary Party that was set up to celebrate Mona’s 20 years as the Director at Buckham West has also been postponed. There is no new date that has been set, but you can look for that to happen after the holidays.
Plastic Recycling Today
Once again, the Faribault Lions Club will be at Buckham West to accept your donation of household plastic bags. On Wednesday, December 21st between 9:30-11:00am, volunteers from their group will be on hand to accept a variety of household plastics. This Plastic Recycling Project is a fund-raiser for community projects.
The plastics must be clean, dry and free from food and another residue. Please do not bring bags in on other days, as we will not be storing them here
Holiday Closing Schedule
- Buckham West will be closed on Friday, December 23rd and Monday, December 26th
- Senior Dining- There will be no noon meal (curbside and dining room) served or Meals on Wheels delivery on Friday, December 23rd and Monday, December 26th
- Fashions on Central will be closed from Friday, December 23-Monday, December 26.
Are you looking for Christmas gift ideas? How about purchasing a gift certificate for one of the services that we offer here at Buckham West! We have them for Senior Dining, Membership Dues, Foot Clinic and Fashions on Central.
As a new gift idea, you may also purchase coupons that can be used in our Coffee Shop. At only $1 each, you can gift your special senior with coffee from our Coffee Shop. If this seems like the perfect solution for you, we can help you by stopping to see us. Problem solved!
Year End Gifts
Many people wait until the end of each year to make their charitable donations. If you have it in your heart to make a gift to Buckham West, it would be greatly appreciated. For those that are willing to make a tax-deductible gift please mail or drop off your gift to Buckham West at 19 Division St. West. Thanks in advance for your generosity!
Mental Health Post-Pandemic: Help for the Helpers
Are you a provider of long-term care services for older adults, for example working in adult foster care, adult day services, home care? If you If it feels as if the people you are caring for have become more inflexible and impatient, it is possible that they are continuing to experience the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Older adults in particular have been more vulnerable to the physical and emotional harms associated with the pandemic. Isolation from family and friends and disruptions in care created issues with mental health and well-being, coping strategies, and perspectives.
Presenter: Jane Buffie, MSW, LICSW has more than 30 years of diverse experience, especially in clinical social work. She currently works with a team of mental health experts at Family Services Rochester where one of her special interests is working with older adults, including facilitating PEARLS – Program to Encourage Active Rewarding Lives.
This continuing educational session, scheduled for Thursday, December 15th at 1:30 p.m. at Buckham West, is free of charge. Please pre-register by calling 507-332-7357.
Beginning on Thursday, January 5th at 1:30 p.m., Buckham West will launch another Great Courses series titled “America in the Gilded Age and Progressive Era”. Great Courses is a series of college-level courses covering a wide range of topics. This program is presented by experts in the field and will be facilitated locally by Bob Irby. This program will be a video viewing and discussion format held for 6 sessions. Registration is now being accepted.
- Just a reminder to our current senior center members that we would like to encourage you to get your membership renewal form in before the end of this year. This year’s membership dues remain at $40 per person. Plus, if you are not a member yet, now is a great time to join!
- The Senior Linkage Line is a free, statewide service designed to help older adults and caregivers find answers and connect to the service and support they need. As a way to introduce you to the SLL staff member, Cea Grass, we have invited her to be here on Wed., Dec. 14 from 9:30-11:30am.
- If you are a Rice County resident who is living independently and looking for help, you are encouraged to call Neighbors Helping Neighbors. You may call Buckham West at 507-332-7357 and ask for Anne Pleskonko. These services are based on your ability to pay.