We’ve all had to learn how to adjust to the digital world and navigate all sorts of transactions on-line. Internet connections can provide a lot of convenience to our days but they can also bring a lot of questions, especially related to keeping our private information and our finances safe and secure.
Staff of Affinity Plus will be at Buckham West on Tuesday, November 1st at 1:30 p.m.
These staff are well-versed in information security for their members and will share their expertise with us.
- We will learn about safety and security around:
- Our information
- Our use of devices: phone/tablet/computer
- Our activity on the internet
This is a free program; open to the public; pre-registration is suggested but walk-ins are welcome.
Membership Incentive Ends this Week
As an incentive to add new members for the remainder of 2022, we are running a special Membership Drive which ends on October 31. If you are 50 years or older, we would like to invite you to become a member for the remainder of 2022 and all of 2023 for only $45. Next year’s individual’s dues are $40 per year, so for just $5 more you can join for the last 3 months of 2022 and all of 2023. Look at this as a way to support this important non-profit and save yourself some money.
If you are already a Buckham West member, your annual renewal process will begin in November for the 2023 membership year.
Pencil Artist at BW
On Wednesday, November 2nd beginning at 1:30 p.m., Buckham West is hosting a special program featuring an extraordinary collection of pencil drawings by premier pencil artist Al Smith. The program will feature scenes and images that portray WWII soldiers and also the women who have served in the armed forces.
Artist Al Smith will present a program based on his drawings of those who served during time of war. He found that by drawing their pictures and telling their stories, he could express his respect and appreciation for them. This is one way he honors all veterans.
The program is open to the public; pre-registration required by calling 332-7357. There is no cost for Buckham West members and $3 for non-members which is payable at the door.
Political Turbulence Following WWI
On Thursday, November 3 beginning at 1:30pm we are honored to be hosting Dr. Brian Libby, retired European History instructor from Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, when he shares with us a presentation on the three famous families of 1914 Europe.
In 1914 the bulk of Europe was ruled by three families: the Romanovs, the Hapsburgs and the Hohenzollerns. But by the end of 1918 the hears of two of these families were living in exile; the third was dead. In the presentation, you will examine whether the collapse of three ancient houses resulted in improvement or the reverse for their former subjects.
About the presenter: Mr. Brian Libby was born in Maine, educated at Johns Hopkins and Purdue University, and taught European History at Shattuck-St. Mary’s from 1978-2016. His main fields of expertise and interest are European military and diplomatic history, and modern Germany. He has self-published five novels.
Pop-Up Shoppe Donations
The “Pop-Up Christmas Shoppe” returns for a third time prior to the 2022 holiday season, with all proceeds used to support the programs and services of Buckham West. This event is set to kick off on Saturday, Nov. 26th.
In order to stock the shop, we are now actively soliciting donations from our members and other supportive community members. These donations will then be priced, displayed and sold at the Shoppe.
In order to have artisan and boutique quality items, we will not accept previously opened or used items. Please drop off your donated items to Buckham West no later than Friday, November 18th.
Beginning on Monday, October 3rd, we are holding a special raffle to celebrate the spirit of the approaching holiday seasons. You may win a specially decorated pumpkin, just in time to add to your Halloween festivities or grace your Thanksgiving table. Raffle tickets are $1.00 each with three prizes drawn beginning with the largest pumpkin. The drawing will be held at Buckham West on October 31st. Need not be present to win.
- If you need something new to wear for winter, check out Fashions on Central. They have a wide variety of clothing for women. Fashions on Central, located in downtown Faribault, is open for shopping Tuesday-Friday from 11:00-5:00pm
- Technology assistance service for Faribault’s older adults by Holly from Westbrack Marketing. Call Buckham West at 332-7357 to make an appointment for a one-half hour slot. Fee: $20
- Aging Eyes Support Group for individuals who are searching for assistance in dealing with their vision concerns will be meeting on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at Buckham West from 10-11:00am.
- The October Caregiver Support Group has been rescheduled for November 1st.
- If you are a Rice County resident who is living independently and are looking for help with fall clean up and snow removal, you are encouraged to call Neighbors Helping Neighbors. You may call Buckham West at 507-332-7357 and ask for Anne Pleskonko. These services are based on your ability to pay.