In order to provide an opportunity for our members and others to learn about the Faribault Public School’s upcoming levy vote, Buckham West has invited school leadership to give a presentation about the specifics of this vote. This program will be held in the new Buckham West conference room on Wednesday, Oct. 30 at 10:30am.
At its July 22, 2019 meeting, the Faribault School Board voted unanimously to authorize a special election on Tuesday, November 5 for the community to vote on two ballot questions for an operating levy.
The presentation at Buckham West will answer these questions and more:
- Where will the levy money go?
- What is the tax impact?
- How does Faribault compare to other districts?
- When and where will you go to vote?
This event is free and open to the community, with no pre-registration necessary.
The membership incentive continues during the entire month of October for any new member. Any individual 50 years and older can join our organization for the rest of 2019 and all of 2020 for a special rate.
Can’t afford it this year? Don’t worry – because we have a scholarship program to help pay your dues. In 2008, Buckham West’s Board of Directors approved a policy to help those that could not afford membership dues. That policy reads:
“It is the policy of Buckham West to provide financial assistance for any disadvantaged individual age 50 and over to become a Buckham West member. In order to access this scholarship the individual must complete a standard membership form, indicate how much of the current membership fee they can afford to pay and submit the completed paperwork to the Executive Director. The intention is not to ask for personal financial information, but rely on the honesty and real need of the requesting individual. This is an annual scholarship only and may be offered only if there are sufficient funds in the Scholarship Fund.”
“Myths of Aging”
Join us on Tuesday, October 22 at 1:30 p.m. for another program in the series we are calling TED Talk Tuesday. What is a TED Talk? In a nutshell, it is a mini-video segment on a specific ideas or topic.
This month we will view and discuss an important topic titled “Myths of Aging”. Myths about aging often drive ageist attitudes—but the reality is, we all age. This presentation will discuss the aging process both internal and external and why a more positive attitude toward aging helps us age well
After viewing the TED talk, we will have a guided discussion led by staff from Brookdale Senior Living of Faribault. Open to public; pre-register for this free program.
Open Enrollment Period
Beginning October 15 through December 7, 2019 the Open Enrollment period begins for the Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Medicare Part D). A trained health insurance counselor will be available at Buckham West to assist individuals who have questions, want to enroll or want to make changes on their Medicare Part D coverage during the Open Enrollment period. Individual appointments can be made by calling 332-7357. There is no cost or membership necessary to access this service.
- Next Flu Shot Clinic scheduled for Friday, Nov. 1 from 1-2pm.
- Fashions on Central now has clothes for fall and winter. Stop in often to see the latest sales and to find out what is new.
- “Prohibition: A Grand Misadventure” is scheduled to be presented tonight at 6pm. Although reservations are filled for the accompanying evening meal, there is still room to attend the presentation. Call to sign up. There is a cost of $3/ members, $6/ non-members which is payable at the door.
- MN Landscape Arboretum on Wed., Oct. 30 from 8:30am-5:00pm. Beautifully decorated for fall and Halloween, cost is $52 which includes motorcoach transportation, tram ride and admission. Lunch on your own from the Arboretum Café.
- Jackpot Junction on Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 12 and 13. $75 includes hotel and transportation. Casino pays $50 and senior perks on Player’s Card. Beautifully remodeled restaurant.
- Church Basement Ladies, “Hark! The Basement Ladies Sing” on Friday, Dec. 20 from 10:30-4:30pm at the Ames Center. Cost is $70 includes lunch at Old Country Buffet, performance and motorcoach transportation.
- Brochures available: Branson on November 7-11 and Nashville on November 14-19.