Please keep Fashions on Central, our gently used clothing store, on your list of shops to visit during the holidays. Our store sells high quality, used clothing for women at bargain prices. Our store is now open Tuesday through Friday each week from 11am-5pm. Remember that 100% of the proceeds from sales at Fashion on Central are used to support Buckham West. It is the ultimate local, small business!
Free Exercise for Seniors
Do you wish you could improve your strength, balance and flexibility? Do you want to decrease your risk of falling? This free exercise program is for you.
Stay Active & Independent for Life (SAIL) is an evidence-based program proven to prevent falls through providing exercise classes, educational information and wellness self-assessments. Designed for older adults, SAIL classes include strength, balance, flexibility and aerobic training. Performing exercises that improve strength, balance and fitness are the most important activity that adults can do to stay active independent.
Buckham West offers SAIL exercise classes in its fitness studio several times each week. The morning session is held every Tuesday and Thursday from 10:15-11:15am and the afternoon session is held on every Monday and Thursday from 3:00-4:00 p.m. If you are interested in joining, you may visit the class and check it out.
Annual Membership Meeting
All members are invited to attend our Annual Membership meeting on Wednesday, December 14th at Buckham West. Beginning at 1:30 we will hold an election for the Board of Directors and have our annual business meeting. Then following the meeting, we will celebrate the holidays with refreshments. This is a members-only event and no RSVP is needed.
Holiday Closing Schedule
- Buckham West will be closed on Friday, December 23rd and Monday, December 26th
- Senior Dining- There will be no noon meal (curbside and dining room) served or Meals on Wheels delivery on Friday, December 23rd and Monday, December 26th
- Fashions on Central will be closed from Friday, December 23-Monday, December 26.
Are you looking for Christmas gift ideas? How about purchasing a gift certificate for one of the services that we offer here at Buckham West! We have them for Senior Dining, Membership Dues, Foot Clinic and Fashions on Central.
As a new gift idea, you may also purchase coupons that can be used in our Coffee Shop. At only $1 each, you can gift your special senior with coffee from our Coffee Shop. If this seems like the perfect solution for you, we can help you by stopping to see us. Problem solved!
Year End Gifts
If you are someone who is considering options for your IRA’s Required Minimum Distribution, please consider a gift to Buckham West! A Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) allows individuals age 70 1/2 or older to donate up to $100,000 per year directly from a qualifying IRA to charities such as Buckham West and pay no income tax on the distribution. Please consult your tax or financial professional about your personal situation.
Mental Health Post-Pandemic: Help for the Helpers
Are you a provider of long-term care services for older adults, for example working in adult foster care, adult day services, home care? If you If it feels as if the people you are caring for have become more inflexible and impatient, it is possible that they are continuing to experience the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Older adults in particular have been more vulnerable to the physical and emotional harms associated with the pandemic. Isolation from family and friends and disruptions in care created issues with mental health and well-being, coping strategies, and perspectives.
Presenter: Jane Buffie, MSW, LICSW has more than 30 years of diverse experience, especially in clinical social work. She currently works with a team of mental health experts at Family Services Rochester where one of her special interests is working with older adults, including facilitating PEARLS – Program to Encourage Active Rewarding Lives.
This continuing educational session, scheduled for Thursday, December 15th at 1:30 p.m. at Buckham West, is free of charge. Please pre-register by calling 507-332-7357.
Great Courses and a Bonus
Beginning on Thursday, January 5th at 1:30 p.m., Buckham West will launch another Great Courses series titled “America in the Gilded Age and Progressive Era”. Great Courses is a series of college-level courses covering a wide range of topics. This program is presented by experts in the field and will be facilitated locally by Bob Irby. This program will be a video viewing and discussion format held for 6 sessions. Registration is now being accepted.
Please remember that tomorrow, December 8th at 1:30pm is our bonus class where we will join others to summarize the 2022 classes. There will also be a time to re-visit the recent program presented by Dr. Brian Libby. No sign up or cost is necessary for this Bonus Class.
- Just a reminder to our current senior center members that we would like to encourage you to get your membership renewal form in before the end of this year. This year’s membership dues remain at $40 per person. Plus, if you are not a member yet, now is a great time to join!
- Another AARP Defensive Driving Class has been added for December. It is a four-hour refresher scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 13 from 12:30-4:30pm.
- The Senior Linkage Line is a free, statewide service designed to help older adults and caregivers find answers and connect to the service and support they need. As a way to introduce you to the SLL staff member, Cea Grass, we have invited her to be here on Wed., Dec. 14 from 9:30-11:30am.
- Aging Eyes Support Group for individuals who are searching for assistance in dealing with their vision concerns will be meeting on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at Buckham West from 10-11:00am.
- If you are a Rice County resident who is living independently and looking for help, you are encouraged to call Neighbors Helping Neighbors. You may call Buckham West at 507-332-7357 and ask for Anne Pleskonko. These services are based on your ability to pay.