We are sorry to announce that Buckham West will not be hosting the free tax preparation service in 2022. Although this program was available at Buckham West for many years, the COVID-19 pandemic continues to interrupt this service in our building. If you have questions, please check out their website at www.aarpfoundation.org/taxaide. We are not able to recommend other tax preparation options and encourage people to ask their friends and family members for a referral.
Great Courses Series to Launch
Beginning on Thursday January 13th at 1:30 p.m. Buckham West has launched its first Great Courses presentation on “The Black Death: The World’s Most Devastating Plague”. “The Black Death” series tells the story of the cataclysmic events that took place across Europe in the 1340’s.
Great Courses is a series of college-level audio and video courses covering a wide range of topics. This program will be a video viewing and discussion format held in 6 weekly sessions. Pre-register; free for Buckham West members, $3.00 for non-members. Openings remain and you may still join the group for the final 5 classes.
Advance Care Planning
If you had a health crisis and were unable to communicate with your loved ones and medical care providers, who would make decisions for you? Advance care planning is a process of thinking about what’s important to you, talking with those who matter to you, and writing down your wishes for health care and treatment in a Health Care Directive.
Don’t know where to start? Attend this free Honoring Choices Advance Care Planning education series to learn more. This 2-session course will walk with you through the process of advance care planning and facilitate the completion of your health care directive. Plan to attend both sessions as you will be asked to complete activities between the sessions.
- Session 1: Introduction to Advance Care Planning and Your Health Care Agent
Tuesday, February 1, 2022 from 10 – 11 am
We will address the 6 W’s of advance care planning (Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How)
- Session 2: Completing Your Health Care Directive
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 from 10 – 11 am
Continuing the discussion with the Honoring Choices Health Care Directive, we will answer your questions and provide guidance as you complete a directive that reflects your wishes for health care decision making and treatment.
About the Instructor: Pat Heydon is the coordinator for Honoring Choices Advance Care Planning for Faribault & Owatonna. Her experience as a social worker in hospital settings working with patients and families in crisis showed her the importance of advance care planning and drives her passion to helping others understand and complete this very important document. Call 507-977-2330 or email email@example.com to register. Registration will not be handled through Buckham West.
Out with the old
Too much stuff in your closets? Please consider donating your gently used clothing items to Fashions on Central located at 325 Central Ave in downtown Faribault. Our store is now open Tuesday through Saturday each week from 11am-5pm. Remember that 100% of the proceeds from sales at Fashion on Central are used to support the Senior Center.
Senior Learning Network
Through a webcam and internet connection, Buckham West continues its series of virtual classes through the Senior Learning Network (SLN). Pre-registration is required by calling us at 332-7357 and the programs are open to the community. Cost to attend is $3/Buckham West members or $6/non-members which is payable at the door. The following is the schedule for the next sessions:
- Tuesday, Jan. 25th at 1:00pm: Mitchell Caverns
Mitchell Caverns are the only limestone caves in the California State Park system. For many years the caves were thought to be “dead”, that is, the formations were no longer growing. However, recent studies have found something different. Our park ranger, Andrew has asked us to return to see a special presentation of the caverns in Providence Mountains with their new and improved internet connections.
- Tuesday, Feb.1: Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site
As the nation celebrates Grant’s 200th birthday in 2022, interest in the Civil War general and two-term president is at an all-time high. However, stereotypes about Grant’s personal characteristics and life experiences remain within memory. Was Grant an uncaring general who had no regard for his troops? Was he an alcoholic who engaged in destructive behavior? In this presentation, Park Ranger Nick Sacco looks to address various claims about Grant and uncover the characteristics of a deeply complex person who faced serious challenges during his lifetime.
- If you would like to keep receiving our e-newsletter, we are now asking for all current members to please renew their membership for 2022. All those that have paid their dues by February 1st will then continue to have their name on our current mailing list. If you aren’t sure that your membership is up-to-date, please stop in and we will check into it. Dues for 2022 are $40 per person.
- If you are a Rice County resident who is living independently and are looking for help with snow removal or other home chores, you are encouraged to call Neighbors Helping Neighbors. They can be reached by calling Buckham West at 332-7357 and asking for their local staff member, Anne Pleskonko. These services will be at a reduced cost and in some cases may even be free.
- All senior dining meals, whether they are in the dining room or curbside pickup, require a 24-hour advance registration and can be done by calling 332-7357.
- I want to give a personal “shout out” to my church friends Andrew and Stephanie and their newly revealed son!