Beginning on Thursday, March 23 at 10:00am, Buckham West will launch another educational series titled “Unsung Heroes of World War II: Europe”. In this series, we will look beyond the epic battles and military strategy to meet some of the ordinary people who made an extraordinary impact on World War II.
This program will be a video viewing and discussion format held for 6 sessions and is presented by experts in the field and facilitated locally by Bob Irby. The class is free to members with a minimal cost to non-members. Please note the change to a morning time, instead of the usual afternoon time slot. Call 332-7357 to register.
It’s Minnesota Food Share Month!
Buckham West is hosting a food and funds collection drive starting on March 13 through March 31st.
Where will my donations go?
We will give your donations to the Community Action Center in Faribault and to St Vincent de Paul in Faribault.
What should I donate?
- Your monetary donations are definitely important. Food shelves know how to stretch your donated dollars and during March, MN Food Share helps local food shelves to stretch their dollars even further. Checks can be made to St Vincent de Paul or to Community Action Center with Faribault in the memo line.
- Should you choose to donate non-perishable items, please pick up a “shopping list” of suggested items and bring the items back to Buckham West.
Mental Health Post-Pandemic: Help for the Helpers
If it feels as if the people you are caring for have become more inflexible and impatient, it is possible that they are continuing to experience the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This program is designed for providers of long-term care services for adults and will assist them:
- To identify situations related to the mental health of clients
- To learn ways to buffer these situations
- And to focus on ways to take care of ourselves while caring for others
Presenter: Jane Buffie, MSW, LICSW has more than 30 years of experience and works with a team of mental health experts at Family Services Rochester.
Class will be held at Buckham West on Tuesday, March 28th at 1:30 p.m. Free of charge; Please pre-register by calling 507-332-7357.
Flower Basket Waterers Wanted
Summer will be here before you know it and soon there will be flower baskets beautifying the streets of downtown Faribault. Once again it will be the responsibility of Buckham West to handle the watering of the baskets. Using a specially outfitted golf cart, volunteers hit the streets early in the morning for an hour or two of work each day watering the baskets.
If you are a morning person who wants to help out with this project we could use your help this summer! In order to get a list of volunteers and work out the summer schedule, there will be an organizational meeting for former and new volunteers on Wednesday, March 15th at 1:30 p.m. Men and women are invited to attend this informational session. If you have a conflict with this date and still would like to volunteer, please call me at 332-7357.
We Need to Talk: Family Conversations with Older Drivers
Is there someone in your life that might need to modify their driving habits or even hang up the keys altogether? Sponsored by AARP Driver Safety, this seminar guides families in determining when it’s time for their loved ones to make this change and provides help in finding the right words when you do have the need to talk with them.
This program is open to the public & free of charge and will be held on Wednesday, March 22nd from 6:30 to 8:00 P.M.at Buckham West. Please pre-register by calling Buckham West 507-332-7357.
Don’t be a target of healthcare fraud! Fraud against older adults is a growing problem, but you can protect yourself from becoming a victim. On Wednesday, March 22nd beginning at 1:30pm, Cea Grass, a Senior Linkage Line Specialist will be at Buckham West to share ways to identify and avoid fraud. You will also learn about other help and services that are available for older adults and their families. Joining Ms. Grass will be Detective Matt Shuda, from the Faribault Police Department. This program is free and open to the public, no preregistration needed.
Nice to Know
- The Faribault Lions Club will be at Buckham West to accept your donation of household plastic bags on Wednesday, March 15th between 9:30-11:00am.
- The book club selection for the March 27th meeting is “West with Giraffes” by Lynda Rutledge.
- If you have questions regarding insurance or other benefits that you might qualify for, Senior Linkage Line staff member, Cea Grass be here on the second Wednesday of each month.
- Aging Eyes Support Group meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at Buckham West from 10-11:00am.
- On the 4th Tuesday of each month from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., you are invited to gather with other caregivers for a time of learning, sharing, and friendly discussion.
- The “Out to Lunch Bunch” was created for people interested in joining other members for lunch the third Tuesday of each month. Dutch treat. Please call for reservations to be made. Members only activity.